Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder in which people interpret reality abnormally. Schizophrenia may result in some combination of hallucinations, delusions and extremely disordered thinking and behavior that impairs daily functioning and can be disabling. (Mayo Clinic)
- Disorganized Speech
- Grossly Disorganized or catatonic behavior
- Negative Symptoms
- Some genetic (There is no clear understanding of inheritance patterns)
- More common in northern climates
- People born in winter
Age of Onset
- Late teens to early twenties
- Anti-psychotic medication, job placement, group and individual therapy
- 1 in 100 people have schizophrenia in the world
- Usage of marijuana as a teenager greatly increases the chance of developing schizophrenia
"I have schizophrenia. I am not schizophrenia. I am not my my mental illness.
My mental illness is a part of me"
-- Johnathan Harnisch
Schizophrenia Resources and Support Centers:
Online Support Groups:
- Schizophrenia Alliance: A peer and self-help group for those living with schizophrenia. Helps restore dignity and purpose for those working towards a recovery from schizophrenia. No dues, confidential, and members remain anonymous.
- Students with Psychosis: No-cost global organization supporting students living with schizophrenia and other forms of psychosis.
- Schizophrenia Spectrum Support: An online space and support group for those dealing with health conditions
- NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group: (18+) A free peer-led support group that is available to all adults living with mental health conditions and psychosis.
- Offers several support forums and is an online community run by medically-trained volunteers. A source of education, support and information.
Early Serious Mental Illness Treatment Locator:
- Individuals who experience the first onset of mental illness symptoms, which could include problems of perception, should contact a treatment facility that is able to provide effective treatment that can lead to better outcomes and enable people to live full, healthy, and productive lives
- Finds a psychiatrist (around Orlando area) to help you or a loved one suffering from schizophrenia
- Schizophrenia treatment program in Florida
Finding a Doctor Who Treats Schizophrenia:
Finding A Mental Health Professional, National Alliance on Mental Illness:
Advocacy, Support, and Additional Resources for People With Schizophrenia:
Schizophrenia and Related Disorders Alliance of America:
American Brain Coalition:
Treatment Advocacy Center:
Schizophrenia Organizations, Statistics and Facts:
National Alliance on Mental Illness:
National Institute of Mental Health:
Brain and Behavior Research Foundation:
American Psychiatrics Association:
Schizophrenia Research Forum:
Schizophrenia and Financial Assistance for Treatment:
Getting Help Paying for Your Meds, National Alliance on Mental Illness:
The Assistance Fund: